Friday, September 8, 2017

Count Down


Three: I’m not sure about the definition of reality.

I once heard first-born is a synonym for responsibilities but my immediate elder sister is a carefree-goddess. The only world she recognizes is the one in her head. Growing together enabled me to understand the relationship between the sun and the other planet – everything revolves around her.

I also learned last-born kids are often pampered. They get away with anything but I am actually not sure to what extent. I breastfed my immediate younger brother till he was one year old while I was in high school. I had to take up part-time weekend jobs to cater for his basic needs. Tomorrow he turns 7

Two: At what point is water thicker than blood?

We are not fatherless if that’s what you thought. My friend calls her dad superman. I have two dads yet I play the character of wonder woman having to shoulder the responsibilities of my mother. It sometimes appears I am father less.

Step dad offered to take care of my siblings and I. Relief right? I was the only one who accepted his offer. He is soft spoken, generous, devout and easy going. Everytime I hear him say I still love you; I never succeed in holding back my tears. The weight of each drop exceeds the blood of my biological dad.

One: The crossroad when right becomes wrong.

What do I see when I look into the mirror? Strong, independent and bluntly naïve lady who hardly ever breaks a sweat. My reflection is karma.  My life would have passed for a reincarnation but I am alive as well as my loving mother. Initially I could not understand how my uncle could be mother’s brother and her son as well.

Grand dad passed on the eve of my uncle’s 7th birthday, thanks to my mother. I remember the footnote she added on my 21st birthday card

…every seven year is an opportunity for perfection, a time to make every wrong, right…

I went over to my biological dad’s place to be the first to wish my brother a happy birthday on the morrow and most importantly to make the right thing wrong unknowing to anyone.

11:58pm, I woke daddy from his deep slumber on the very same couch of my dilema. His eyes opened as though he was going to breathe his last. When I told him I forgave him and like step dad would say in a very gentle tone; and I still love you; tears streaked down his eyes like a baby.


Courage may not always be courageous but I’ve seen how it transformed the heart of a fully formed man and most importantly, me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment